19.10.10

Vingt-trois

One of my last days in France Jess took me to an art collective in Poitiers called Vingt-Trois (or twenty-three). When you hear the word "art collective" you usually think of pot-luck dinners, unwashed hair, and communist literature. This commune definitely contained the usually suspects. An eardrum-splitting reggae band performed in the basement and the girl in the picture below had a silk-screen printing operation strapped to herself so that she could walk around and "sell" prints. I say sell, because they would give these away to anyone for the price of a hug. She had a train of helpers following her around with a clothesline of drying prints for passerbys to peruse. One of my favorite things was the wall grenouille (frog) that Jess posed in front of for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment