7.3.10

Ireland Extravaganza

Came back from Ireland two weeks ago and the only thing I can say about Ireland is that it is amazing. Amazingly cold in February, unfortunately, but still amazing.

This trip to Ireland was the first longer vacation that I have taken where I could only take a backpack along. And thanks to super-strict baggage policies, it was really only a small backpack. My trip was only two weeks long, however a longer trip would not have really necessitated bringing more stuff along. The only thing that I wish I had left behind were my running shoes, since I was more busy bike riding than running. I also wish that I had brought more underwear along, because washing and drying underwear took up more of my time than I would have liked.

Jess and I started out our trip in Galway.
 
We climbed on the rocks, but it was sooooo foggy that even right next to the beach, we couldn't see the water.


Then we visited the aquarium, which had the second-best touch tanks that I have ever seen. Jess was very entranced with the giant sting ray.
We then traveled out to Inishmore, one of the Aran Islands, where we rented bikes.
We visited Dun Aonghus (pronounced like Angus), which is a prehistoric fort. See the explanation in Irish!

 
The fort has these weird square stones that looked fake.
Dun Aonghus was right next to the ocean and you could walk right up to the edge of the cliff. A wee bit scary!

There were also very pretty beaches, but it was too cold to even consider going swimming.
We also saw horses!

We also headed south to Killarney and the man that we rented bikes from insisted on taking our picture.
He also told us to bike up this hill, and halfway through we both wanted to die, but the view from the top was totally worth the pain!
We biked around part of the lake, but didn't have enough time to make it all the way around.
We also visited the Jameson distillery in Dublin.

No comments:

Post a Comment